- Category: Press Release
- Published on Monday, 26 November 2012 17:54
- Hits: 16309
"Now it will be neta (politician) versus aam admi (common man). The common man, suffering for the last 65 years, is going to establish own party and sit in Parliament," Arvind Kejriwal said while formally launching 'Aam Admi Party'. He chose November 26 for the launch as it was on this day in 1949 when the country's Constitution was adopted.
Addressing an impressive gathering at Parliament Street here, Kejriwal said the new party was the result of the struggle against corruption. Before the official launch of the party, Kejriwal and some of his supporters visited Rajghat and then B R Ambedkar Memorial in Civil Lines.
Asked about his experience in politics, he said, "Indeed I don't have experience of corruption and crime record like they (politicians) have and I don't even wish to have such experiences." He said inflation is due to rising corruption and if graft can be controlled, then a lot can be done to control price rise.
Significantly, as Monday also marks the fourth anniversary of the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks, Arvind Kejriwal and others also paid rich tributes to those NSG commandos who fought valiantly against terrorists in Mumbai. A former NSG commando Surinder Singh, who came out in open alleging that he was not given pension, was honoured by Admiral (Retd) L Ramdas. Surinder Singh, who had last week held a press conference along with Kejriwal, said they were demanding justice and that he is fighting for all those commandos who were "ill-treated" by the government. "I am getting threats now. I am not a person to get frightened. But it is not easy to fight against our own people, our own government. It is easy to fight enemies," he claimed.
Arvind Kejriwal on Saturday 24th November launched the Aam Aadmi Party, to take on the well entrenched political class on its own turf. The meeting was attended by 320 founding members of the party, which promises to provide more power to gram sabhas and revive the slogan of swaraj (self-rule), which was effectively used during the freedom struggle. In the day long meeting the following resolutions were passed:
- The party will be called “Aam Aadmi Party” and it will belong to every common man, common woman and common child of this country.
- The constitution of this party was adopted and it is markedly different from the constitutions of existing parties. Highlights of this constitution are attached.
- The National Council comprising of 320 members was formed today. In the coming days the National Council will grow as every District Council that will be formed in the coming days, will send a representative to join the National Council.
- The National Council selected a National Executive to look after the day to day affairs of the party. The National Executive will comprise of 30 members and today 23 members were elected. Their names are attached. The National Executive will hold its first meeting on 26th November 2012 at 10 am wherein it will select the National Convener, Secretary and Treasurer.
- The National Council adopted a Vision Document that embodies the spirit of the party. The Vision Document has two parts.The first part of the document voices the dream of Swaraj for India. An India wherein every person would have the rights to participate in the decision making process in issues related to their community, their village and their “mohalla” (in cities). “Referendums” and “Initiatives” are tools by which we want every citizen to directly participate in the law and policy making process of the state and the nation. Today the common man cannot afford to fight cases in courts - this has to change and justice has to become a right of every citizen. The second part of the documents discusses the parties views on certain pertinent issues. However, this part of the vision will continue to evolve since there are innumerable issues wherein we will research, deliberate and take a consensus and then present our consolidated view.
- Aam Aadmi Party will immediately commence a nation wide stir wherein we will make the appeals to every citizen on India to take the following vows:
- “I will never take or pay a bribe.”
- “I will cast my vote in every election.”
- I will not sell my vote for money or for any other favors.”
Throughout the nation a number of people wish to join as members of this party. In the coming two months we will open offices across the nation and people can come to our office and join as members from 26th January, 2013 onwards. However on our foundation day, that is 26th November 2012, we invite the whole nation to come and join a “Primary Members” at Jantar Mantar. The foundation day program will commence at noon on 26th November, 2012 and will continue throughout the day. Thousands of people are expected to come from across the nation.
Highlights of the Constitution of the AAP
- The main goal of Aam Aadmi party is to establish Swaraj in India. Today state and central governments are flouting the Constitution of India time and again. AAP will aver to abide by the Constitution of India.
- There will be two kinds of members in AAP. Every adult citizen of the country can enroll as a member of the Party for three years if they agree to the vision & goals of the party and agree to abide by our constitution by paying a membership fee of Rs.10. An ordinary member who works for actively for the party and the Nation for 4 months can become and “Active Member” and will have voting rights in the party.
- As per our commitment to Swaraj, new Active Members will be approved the existing active members of the village and mohalla.
- The prevalent dynastic politics is a blot on the nation. The constitution of AAP states not more than one member of a family can hold a party post at any point of time. Similarly no family will be allowed to field more than one candidate in elections.
- The party will focus on inclusion of youth and women in every level.
- We will consider every college as unit at par with a village or a ward. We will include elected representatives from each college in the National Council and thus include students directly in the decision making process.
- Women are not actively involved in the political process in the country. AAP will take strong steps to include women from the grass root level and carry it to the top. In every Primary Unit and Block Unit of the party, one of the two coordinators will have to be a woman. This will encourage women to take leadership roles and include them in the decision making process as equal partners.
- Steps have been taken to ensure inclusion of backward classes in the councils and executives at all levels.
- The party will institute right to recall within the party wherein we have created a process wherein members of the Councils or Executives, conveners, secretaries and treasurers can be recalled if they fail to abide by the constitution, ethics and spirit of the party.
- There will be complete transparency in the finances of the party which will be periodically shared with the public at all levels.
- We will institute a Lokpal at the National level and Lokayuktas at the State and District levels comprising of retired judges and eminent citizens. If any citizen of the country has a proof of corruption against a member of our councils at any level, they can approach our Lokpal and Lokayukta. If the Lokpal of Lokayukta feel that member is guilty they will punish the member and this punishment will be accepted by all members
On Sunday, the Aam Aadmi National Executive elected Kejriwal as the National Convenor and Prashant Bhushan and psephologist Yogendra Yadav as office bearers. The AAP said there will be no space for dynastic politics or corrupt people in the party. Arvind Kejriwal said he will tour the country for the next one year to "expose" the Congress and BJP while trying to convince people on why they should support his outfit.
(ɔ) Aam Aadmi Party Mumbai